Friday, February 12, 2010

So What Are My Qualifications To Comment Anyway?

I occasionally am asked what are my qualifications to pontificate on these various topics anyway? Well OK, here they are:

1) I have a PhD from UC Berkeley in Electrical Engineering, 1991
2) I have over a dozen peer reviewed articles in topics that include computer simulation, related physics, and comparison of simulation and experimental data (this has some relevance to climate change modeling for example). I have also authored several book chapters on working in a Japanese company, nanotechnology public policy and other topics.
3) I have worked for over 15 years in information technology for the financial sector. This provides insight for both fields and how they intersect.
4) I have lived in Japan for 16 years and now Hong Kong for nearly 2 and have travelled extensively throughout the region, including China and India.
5) I have run organizations with over 500 employees and budgets exceeding $200M
6) I have also worked in the pharmaceutical industry, consulting on IT as well as set up a a joint venture venture-capital funded research laboratory for a major global firm. I have some related experience as a free lance consultant and entrepreneur.
7) I have helped produce underground music parties in the depths of Shibuya and Roppongi, Japan. I have consulted for fashion industry in Japan as well (!)
7) I pay a s***load of taxes.

I am not: a lawyer, a practicing academic, nor am I particular good as a entrepreneur. There is a lot I don't know, but at least I am willing to admit that!