Friday, January 4, 2008

Political Philosophy, etc.

To start, and in no particular order, here are some comments on my political, philosophical and lifestyle leanings:

1) I love living in Tokyo. It is one of the world's great cities and it suits me well. I moved last year from Roppongi to Shibuya, both of which are central to the "Cool Japan" boom in manga, anime, youth fashion, and nightlife. I am not a typical manga/anime afficionado, but I am a fan of Tokyo's cutting edge outlook on lifestyle and technology. Nevertheless, culturally and philosophically, I remain fundamentally American. 

2) Politically I lean to the US Republican party. As a teenager I saw both the Carter doldrums and the Reagan revolution. I am fiscally conservative and much less socially conservative. I believe in limited government, low taxes, and a strong foreign policy based on enlightened self-interest. 

3) On matters of social policy I generally take a somewhat libertarian view. I grew up Roman Catholic and support life (in terms of opposing both abortion and capital punishment) and I prefer not to judge, "lest ye be judged". As a result, I do not generally expect government to make choices that individual's can best make themselves. Nevertheless, I do expect to be responsible for the results of my actions and ask that others do the same.  

4) I take a scientific approach to policy: the data must support the hypothesis. This colors my views on a variety of topics, including for example global warming. If the facts are not in line with "the narrative" (either left or right leaning), then the narrative must change. 

5) I believe that the influence of the United States in the world is far more positive than it is negative. In my travels around the world, I have met very few detractors of the United States, even in this day of Islamo-facism and a muscular US response to it in Iraq and Afghanistan. I believe this influence comes as much from the American ideals of Liberty and Justice as it does from America's economic and military power. 

6) I enjoy the following bloggers on a regular basis:
-Instapundit - Glenn Reynolds
-Michelle Malkin
-Ann Althouse (I am after all, a Madison, Wisconsin native!)
-Captain's Quarters - Edward Morrissey
-Vodkapundit
-Breitbart.com
-RushLimbaugh.com
and many others, which I'll add to a proper blog roll in due course! 

I'll update this post periodically as clarification becomes necessary!